Marketing Assignment :
A Multi-Cultural Comparison of Advertising Strategies
1. The assignment: Comparison of advertising techniques between the three countries concerning a similar or identical product or service.
2. Participating schools: xuzhou Institute of Technology, xuzhou
Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Saint-Etienne, France
Institut Supérieur de Management de Dakar, Senegal
3. Organization of students: Students will work in groups and correspond by email with just one team in each of the partner schools.
学生组织：学生以组的形式合作，每组含法国、塞内加尔及中国学生 8—10名，每个合作学校是一个小队，各小队以小队的名义向组内合作学校通过email 联系
4. Products which can be chosen by the groups: cigarettes, cars (Peugeot?), condoms, rice, tea, mobile phones, hotel chains, coffee.
5. Procedure: Groups will communicate according to their own schedule, according to the availability of internet access and free time. They will have 7 – 10 days to exchange information.
6. Subjects to be discussed:
- Personal introductions: who are you, what do you study, what would you like to do one day, what do you do in your free time, have you been to each other’s country?
- Choose together the product upon which to base your comparison of ad campaigns.
- Find out about advertising in the other country in general.
- Find out about the ad campaign concerning that product in their country.
- Ask the others for their opinion of the ad campaign in their country.
7. Advertising themes to be explored
What is the general strategy of the advertiser? Who is targeted by the advertiser? Which media are used in the campaign? What image is the advertiser trying to convey through this campaign? What is the slogan for this product? What visual, verbal, and sound elements (if any) are used in the advertising? How effective is the current ad campaign? Explain.
8. Evaluation of the students’ work:
Students will be evaluated on
- A paper of 1000 - 1500 words which analyses the differences between the three advertising campaigns.
- A report of 500 to 750 words which analyses the experience of corresponding with people of other cultures.